Sing With Us
Come and sing with us !
All vocal ranges and ages can join in. You'll learn about posture, breathing, resonance, rhythm, showmanship and much more! We are particularly seeking women with low voices to join our bass section and also high pure voices to join our tenor section. If you love to sing and enjoy harmony, EHC could be perfect for you!
If you are interested, we would love to hear from you!
We rehearse each Tuesday evening, from 7:15pm to 10:00pm in Caringabah, Sydney, NSW.
Read our chorus Vision and Values.
Benefits of chorus membership
- Sing with one of Sydney's premier a cappella vocal groups
- Ongoing quality vocal instruction
- Performance / showmanship training
- Improve self esteem and confidence
- Make new lasting friendships
- Fun and interesting Tuesday night singing
- Learn a variety of songs
- Improve your health and fitness (singing is a physical activity!)
- High quality learning CD's
- One night during the week that is for just for you
- Coaching by international vocal and performance coaches
- Performance opportunities
- An escape from the everyday
Are you ready to learn?
Tuesday nights are very educational and you will learn about:
- Posture and breathing
- Vowel sounds and diphthongs
- Rhythm and tempo
- Showmanship and physical expression
- Much more!
What should I bring to chorus nights each week?
- A bottle of water
- Wear comfortable loose fitting clothes
- Have a light meal before you come to rehearsals
- Please DO NOT wear perfume or scented hairspray
- Wear comfortable shoes
- Wear your name badge (provided to you)
- A personal recorder (once you have joined)
Frequently asked questions
about joining the chorus
Whats the purpose of the group?
Our purpose is to sing a high standard of 4-part harmony, barbershop style, for performance, competition and fun. Click here to read our Vision and values.
Do I need to read music?
Whilst music reading skills are useful, it is not a requirement to be able to read music, as we provide audio learning tracks, however it is helpful to know what the notes are on the page. We provide copies of the sheet music if requested.
Do I need to be a trained singer?
No. The requirements to join are the ability to sing in tune, and to hold your part. We all have to start somewhere.
Singing well, with good vocal production, is important to us in order to continually improve our chorus sound. We provide education in vocal production during each rehearsal.
There is an audition process, but this is done in private. Don't be put off! Most of the women in our group come from the 'School of Shower Singers'. You'll never know unless you give it a go!
As we are a performing group, we also require a sense of rhythm and you'll need to learn a simple dance routine. We help you to sing with confident, expressive body language.
How much does it cost?
Membership costs $45 per month. Considering the vocal tuition each member recieves at weekly rehearsals, at the very least joining the chorus provides you with very reasonable vocal lessons! Initially there is also a one-off payment of $160 to cover your first years membership to Sweet Adelines (the international organisation that we are a member of). Under 25's pay $110 on joining and $22.50 per month.
The monthly fees cover our running expenses like hall hire, music costs, etc. as well as all subsequent annual international and regional fees. Prospective members pay a small fee for the CD & music they receive during their lesson and audition period.
What is the commitment?
Our expectations of members:
- Is committed to attending rehearsals each week and makes every effort to do so.
- Learns new music and the visual plan by the designated date.
- Gives undivided attention to the person in front of the chorus (eg director, choreographer etc).
- Always gives her personal best.
- Understands that being a memer of EHC is more of a passion than a ‘hobby’ and requires commitment.
- Is friendly and respectful of all chorus members
Works on improving her vocal and performance skills outside of rehearsal.
- Is willing to try new things to keep getting better as a singer and performer.
- Maintains a positive attitude and stifles negativity.
- Is a ‘self starter’ and gets things done on her own without needing constant reminding
Is it for me?
We have members from all walks of life and in all stages of their lives. From new mums to grandmothers, from 20-somethings to 70-somethings; teachers, scientists, home makers, students, and everything in between. As long as you love singing, can hold your part, are willing to learn, and want to be part of a high performance team, there Endeavour Harmony is for you!
What are the characteristics of our artform?
- Our songs are sung 'a cappella' (voices only, without accompaniment)
- We dont hold music when we sing
- We have a harmony part above the melody line
- We have great flexibility in how we interpret the songs we sing
- We can accommodate very low voices
- We place an emphasis on showmanship and physical performance aspects of singing
- We use movement / choreography in many of our songs
What are the four parts?
Tenor sings the high harmony part above the leads.
Lead sings a harmony part that is the melody line most of the time.
Baritone sings the harmony part above and below the leads.
Bass sings the low harmony part.
Each part suits certain voice types, and we will help you find which part suits your voice best.
Please contact us to enquire about joining. We'd love to hear from you!
Or call Julie on 9521 6436 , or Lea on 9560 8986.